Computer Networks consist of a group of computers that are interconnected with each other to share resources based on certain rules or protocols.
Below is the syllabus for Computer Networks:-
Introduction: Introduction to Computer Networks, Data Communication System and its components, Data Flow, Computer network and its goals, Types of computer networks: LAN, MAN, WAN, Wireless and Wired networks, broadcast and point-to-point networks, Network topologies, protocols, interfaces and services, ISO-OSI reference model, TCP/IP architecture.
Physical Layer: Concept of Analog & Digital Signal, Bandwidth, Transmission Impairments: Attenuation, Distortion, Noise, Multiplexing: Frequency Division, Time Division, Wavelength Division, Introduction to Transmission Media: Twisted pair, Coaxial cable, Fiber optics, Wireless transmission (radio, microwave, infrared), Switching: Circuit Switching, Message Switching, Packet Switching & comparisons, narrowband ISDN, broadband ISDN, and ATM.
Datalink layer: Error Control, Types of errors, framing(character and bit stuffing), error detection & correction methods; Flow control; Protocols: Stop & wait ARQ, Go-Back- N ARQ, sliding window protocols, Selective repeat ARQ, HDLC
Medium access sub layer: Point to point protocol, FDDI, token bus, token ring; Reservation, polling, Multiple access protocols: Pure ALOHA, Slotted ALOHA, CSMA, CSMA/CD, FDMA, TDMA, CDMA, LLC, Traditional Ethernet, fast Ethernet, Network devices-repeaters, hubs, switches, Bridges, Router, Gateway
Network layer: Addressing: Internet address, subnetting; Routing techniques, static vs. dynamic routing, routing table, DHCP, IEEE standards 802.x, Routing algorithms: shortest path algorithm, flooding, distance vector routing, link-state routing; Protocols: ARP, RARP, IP, ICMP, IGMP, IPV6; Unicast and multicast routing protocols.
Transport layer: Process to process delivery; UDP; TCP, RPC, Congestion control algorithm: Leaky bucket algorithm, Token bucket algorithm, choke packets; Quality of service: techniques to improve QoS.
Application layer: DNS; SMTP, SNMP, FTP, HTTP & WWW; Firewalls, Bluetooth, Email, S/MIME, IMAP, Security: Cryptography, user authentication, security protocols in the internet, public-key encryption algorithm, digital signatures.
- Behrouz A. Forouzan, “Data communication and Networking”, Tata McGraw Hill, Fourth Edition, 2011.
- Computer Networks, 4th Edition, Pearson Education by Andrew S. Tanenbaum
- Larry L.Peterson, Peter S. Davie, “Computer Networks”, Elsevier, Fifth Edition, 2012.
- William Stallings, “Data and Computer Communication”, Eighth Edition, Pearson Education, 2007.
- James F. Kurose, Keith W. Ross, “Computer Networking: A Top-Down Approach Featuring the Internet”, Pearson Education, 2005.
Below is the link to download Computer Networks notes.
- Automata Theory (PDF Notes) – Click Here
- Design and Analysis of Algorithms (PDF Notes) – Click Here
- Computer Organization and Architecture (PDF Notes) – Click Here
- Simulation and Modelling (PDF Notes) – Click Here
- Technical Communication (PDF Notes) – Click Here