Fundamentals of Biotechnology
Below is the syllabus for Fundamentals of Biotechnology:-
Introduction to the living world: Concept and definition of Biology; Characteristic features of living organisms; Cell ultra-structure and functions of cell organelles like the nucleus, mitochondria, chloroplast, ribosomes, and endoplasmic reticulum; Difference between prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells; Difference between animal and plant cell.
Introduction to Biomolecules: Definition, general classification, and important functions of carbohydrates, lipids, proteins, nucleic acid (DNA & RNA: Structure and forms), vitamins, hormones, and enzymes.
Genetics: Cell division – Mitosis and its utility to living systems. Meiosis and its genetic significance; Gene: Concept, location, definition, and structure; Introduction to replication, transcription, translation, Mutations, Genetic disorders; Human traits: Genetics of blood groups, diabetes type I & II.
Role of the immune system in health and disease: Brief introduction to morphology and pathogenicity of bacteria, fungi, virus, protozoa beneficial and harmful for human beings.
Concept of Genetic Engineering: Definition; Tools used in recombinant DNA Technology: Plasmids as nature’s interlopers, restriction enzymes as nature’s pinking-shears, Vector as gene transfer vehicle.
Transgenesis: Production and significance of transgenic plants and animals; the Basic concept of genetically modified organisms.
Applications of Biotechnology: Definition of Biotechnology; Applications of Biotechnology in Agriculture, Medicine, Environment, Industry and Forensic Science.
Role of biology in allied fields: Role of biology in Information Technology (Bioinformatics), Nanotechnology (Nanobiotechnology), Micro-electromechanical systems (Bio-MEMS), and Sensors (Biosensors), Ethical issues related to Biotechnology.
- Deswal & Deswal, Introduction to Biotechnology, Dhanpat Rai Publications
- Bruce et al., Molecular Biology of the cell, (4th ed.) Alberts, Garland Science Publishing, New York.
- Pelczar Jr., M. J.; Chan, E.C.S. and Krieg, N.R., Microbiology, Tata McGraw Hill, New Delhi.
- David L. Nelson and M. M. Cox, Lehninger: Principles of Biochemistry (3rd Edition), Macmillan/Worth publishers.
- Snusted & Simmons, Genetics.
- Glick, B. R. and Pasternak, J. J. Molecular Biotechnology: Principles Application of Recombinant DNA, ASM press Washington DC.
- Goldsby, R. A. Kindt, T. J. Osbourne, B. A. Kuby’s Immunology, W. H. Freeman and Company, New York.
- Watson, James D., and Gilman, M. Recombinant DNA (2nd Edition), W.H. Freeman and Company, New York.
- Malacinski, G.M. Essentials of Molecular Biology (4th Edition), Jones & Bartlett Publishers, Boston.
Below is the link to download Fundamentals of Biotechnology notes.