Computer Organization and Architecture
Below is the syllabus for Computer Organization and Architecture:-
Data representation and Computer arithmetic: Introduction to Computer Systems, Organization and architecture, evolution and computer generations; Fixed point representation of numbers, digital arithmetic algorithms for Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication using Booth’s algorithm and Division using restoring and non restoring algorithms. Floating-point representation with IEEE standards and its arithmetic operations.
Basic Computer Organization and Design: Instruction codes, stored program organization, computer registers and common bus system, computer instructions, timing and control, instruction cycle: Fetch and Decode, Register reference instructions; Memory reference instructions. Input, output and Interrupt: configuration, instructions, Program interrupts, Interrupt cycle, Micro programmed Control organization, address sequencing, microinstruction format, and microprogram sequencer.
Central Processing Unit: General register organization, the stack organization, instruction formats, addressing modes, Data transfer, and manipulation, Program control. CISC and RISC: features and comparison. Pipeline and Vector Processing, Parallel Processing, Pipelining, Instruction Pipeline, Basics of vector processing, and Array Processors.
Input-output organization: I/O interface. I/O Bus and interface modules, I/O versus Memory Bus. Asynchronous data transfer: Strobe control, Handshaking, Asynchronous serial transfer. Modes of Transfer: Programmed I/O, Interrupt driven I/O, Priority interrupt; Daisy chaining, Parallel Priority interrupt. Direct Memory Access, DMA controller, and transfer. Input-output Processor, CPU-IOP communication, I/O channel.
- William Stallings, “Computer Organization and Architecture – Designing for Performance”, Sixth Edition, Pearson Education, 2003.
- Morris Mano, M., “Computer System Architecture,” 3/e, Pearson Education, 2005.
- John P. Hayes, “Computer Architecture and Organization,” 3/e, TMH, 1998.
- David A. Patterson and John L. Hennessy, “Computer Organization and Design: The Hardware/Software interface”, Third Edition, Elsevier, 2005.
- V.P. Heuring, H.F. Jordan, “Computer Systems Design and Architecture”, Second Edition, Pearson Education, 2004.
- Carl Hamacher, Zvonko Vranesic and Safwat Zaky, “Computer Organization”, Fifth Edition, Tata McGraw Hill, 2002.
Below is the link to download Computer Organization and Architecture notes.