GATE Exam 2022: Eligibility, Cut-off, Syllabus, Registration Process, Important Dates, Exam Pattern
Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is a national examination conducted jointly by Indian Institute of Science (IISc) Bangalore and seven Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) at Bombay, Delhi, Guwahati, Kanpur, Kharagpur, Madras and Roorkee on behalf of National Coordination Board (NCB)-GATE, Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Education (MoE), Government of India. GATE examination is a Computer Based Test (CBT).
Candidates have the choice of opting the center of their choice. There are about 27 different streams Papers prepared and about 8 lakh candidates appearing for the exam from all over India. In the GATE Exam 2021, about 8 lakh candidates appeared, out of which only about 1.2 lakhs qualified, i.e., 17.8% of the total candidates. The GATE exam is extremely important for those candidates who have a dream of seeking Masters Degree in Government organizations or getting into PSUs or even for studying abroad.
Eligibility Criteria for GATE Exam
In order to register/apply for the GATE Exam, you need to meet certain criteria. The eligibility criteria consists of academic qualifications, age limit, nationality, etc. You must check these details before starting the registration process.
- Academic Qualification – The candidate must be the Final Year of Engineering. The 3rd Year Students are also made eligible from GATE 2021. So, any 3rd or higher Year student can apply for the exam. Other than these, any candidate who has completed their Engineering degree, can also register.
- Age limit – There is no age limit to giving the examination.
- Nationality – Any Candidate who is a resident of India can apply. Students belonging to countries except India can also apply but have to meet certain conditions and criteria.
Cut-off/Qualifying Marks for the GATE Exam
The Cut-off is decided every year depending on the difficulty level of the paper. But, usually, we find the cut-off to be ranging from 23-26 out of 100 every year. Any candidate who crosses the Cut-off qualifies for the examination.
Check here, for the Cut-off of GATE Exam 2021.
Exam Pattern for the GATE Exam
The GATE Exam is an Online conducted examination (Computer Based). All the required details regarding the Exam pattern is displayed below in a tabular form.
Computer Based Test (CBT)
Number of Subjects (Papers)
General Aptitude (GA) +
Types of Questions
1. Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ)
Question for testing these abilities
Analysis and Synthesis
Number of Questions
10 (GA) + 55 (Subject) = 65 (Questions)
Distribution of Marks in all Papers Except papers AR, CY, EY, GG, MA, PH, XH, and XL
General Aptitude: 15 Marks +
All Questions will be of 1 mark and 2 marks
There is a total of about 27 subjects for which Gate Exam is conducted. The following are the subjects with their Subject Code.
Architecture and Planning
Computer Science and Information Technology
Production and Industrial Engineering
Electronics and Communication Engineering
Textile Engineering anf Fibre Science
Environmental Science & Engineering
Humanities & Social Science
Ecology and Evolution
Geology and Geophysics
For each of the above Subject, we have Syllabus to study in detail. GATE Exam is conducted based on these syllabus provided by the Organizers every year.
The link to the Syllabus is given below.
Registration for GATE Exam id done ONLINE (through GOAPS website, https://appsgate.iitb.ac.in) by paying a registration amount. The Candidate needs to upload his/her Photo, Signature, Category Certificate (SC/ST/PwD) or Dyslexic certificate, wherever applicable, during the Registration process.
The Candidate must enter a VALID Photo Identity Number specified in any of the following IDs: Adhaar-UID, Passport, PAN Card, Voter ID, College ID, Employee ID, Driving License.
GATE Application Fee for the year 2020 is as follows:
For Examination Centres in India
Extended Period (Late Fee)
Female Candidates (per paper)
SC / ST / PwD* category candidates (per paper)
All other candidates
For Examination Centres outside India (All Candidates)
Addis, Ababa, Colombo, Dhaka and Kathmandu
Dubai and Singapore (per paper)
NOTE : It is best if you register for GATE during the Regular period as their is no Late Fee charged. After the deadline for Regular Period, you are charged for late submission of application.
- Engineering Maths (PDF Notes) – Click Here
- Digital Logic (PDF Notes) – Click Here
- Programming and DS (PDF Notes) – Click Here
- Computer Organization and Arch. (PDF Notes) – Click Here
- Algorithms (PDF Notes) – Click Here
- Theory of Computation (PDF Notes) – Click Here
- Compiler Design (PDF Notes) – Click Here
- Operating System (PDF Notes) – Click Here
- DBMS (PDF Notes) – Click Here
- Computer Networks (PDF Notes) – Click Here